Friday, January 1, 2016

Kicking off - Seven before 7

Happy New Year from Chasing Tomorrows!




Seven before 7 - Race 1: Freezer 5, Sterling, MA



Today, I completed the first event in my Seven before 7 series, the Freezer Five in Sterling, MA. This was supposed to be my first race of 2016, but instead because I am nursing a bit of tendinitis in my right foot, I was relegated to walking with a few run intervals thrown in to stay warm and a short jog to the finish. The enjoyable company provided by members of the local running club and two really nice people I met along the way, made the miles fly by. I am fortunate to be able to move my body and happy to have started off the New Year in a positive, healthy way.



Training and racing (regardless of pace) is hard work; honoring your body's needs and resting so you can keep moving towards even bigger goals can be even harder. I was happy to bring up the rear today and spend some time in the back of the pack. It really is more fun!

Unsuccessful a selfie with Mount Wachusett

Great turn out by the Highland City Striders
The next race on the schedule is the Old Fashioned 10 miler on February 21 in Foxboro, MA.

2016 Fitness Goals

During today's five miles I reflected on my fitness goals for 2016. Some of the goals are very specific and others are meant to reflect lifestyle improvements.

  • Run with my heart and focus on the current mile
  • Get outside more with my family to run and exercise
  • Complete first Trail Half Marathon (signed up for the Cape Cod Trail Half on 4/10/16)
  • Make strength training a priority - target 2x/week (in addition to my regular yoga practice)
  • Complete at least 1 sprint triathlon

A bit less formal than the goals listed above, I also plan to continue my yoga practice, keep up with swimming and spend some time cycling (to meet goal 5). I hope this year that Brian and I can run a race together or even better - perhaps the four of us can cross a finish line together.



The medal and running gloves coordinate nicely with my Team Boomer toque, don't you think?

How did you start off 2016?

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment